From January until the 2017 Ontario budget (expected in April), the 3 associations representing interprofessional primary care teams - AOHC, AFHTO and NPAO - will deliver a campaign targeted at key political decision makers in the Ontario government aimed at securing new permanent funding to address compensation issues.
The staff in CHCs, AHACs, NPLCs, FHTs and CFHTs have a key role to play. We need YOUR participation in this campaign in February and March to achieve our objectives.
Our objectives for this campaign:
- To secure a commitment in the 2017 Budget of $130 million annualized, with an implementation plan over 2 years, to ensure interprofessional primary care teams can effectively retain and recruit qualified staff.
Our public advocacy tactics:
- We encourage all staff at members of AOHC, AFHTO, NPAO to send a pre-worded electronic letter in February to key targets: Premier Wynne, Finance Minister Sousa, Health Minister Hoskins, and Treasury Board Minister Sandals.
- We encourage all staff at members of AOHC, AFHTO, NPAO in February to also sign a hard copy petition to the Legislative Assembly with the same ask. The petitions should be delivered to your MPP with a request to table them in the Legislature in February and March so that they are read into the record via Hansard.
Letter from your Board to Minister of Health Eric Hoskins
- We encourage boards of all member centres to send letters to Minister Hoskins with the same ask.
- Strengthen primary care as the foundation of the healthcare system for true health system transformation
- Interprofessional primary health care delivers better outcomes for people and better value for money
- Putting Patients First requires an investment at the first point of contact for people: primary care
- It’s about equity and fairness: to put Patients First, invest in people providing care in our teams
- We can’t build great health system on crumbling foundation–invest in interprofessional primary care
Include in message: @DrEricHoskins, #investinprimarycare