Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans* (LGBT) remain invisible to many organizations in Ontario, despite being estimated as 1 to 1.25 million of our province’s population. People who identify as LGBT experience health disparities compared with the general population as a result of specific needs that are different and also as a consequence of discrimination and social isolation. The majority of healthcare providers still have no formal education or training in LGBT health, including training related to how to provide more culturally safe care as well as how to meet specific clinical and other health needs. In addition, there remain significant gaps in policy and research, making the development of comprehensive strategies more difficult.
AOHC strives to meaningfully recognize and incorporate the specific needs and perspectives of this community in our work and among our members. To enable this, AOHC has an LGBT Advisory Group, which is a committee accountable to AOHC’s Board of Directors. Its objectives are:
- to foster change within the community-governed primary health care sector to produce a more accepting environment for members of LGBT communities;
- to facilitate increased access to existing resources for those wanting to understand more about providing services to LGBT communities; and
- to support a practice network of providers in community-governed primary health care settings through knowledge, skills and capacity building to enhance the delivery of care to LGBT clients.
- Rainbow Health Ontario and AOHC Joint Submission on Patients First
- Rainbow Health Ontario (RHO) - RHO is a province-wide program that works to improve the health and wellbeing of lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans people in Ontario through education, research, outreach, and public policy advocacy.
- Egale Canada Human Rights Trust
- 2-Spirited People of the First Nations
- Trans PULSE
*LGBT includes many people that identify and self-identify, as individuals and/or communities, far more broadly, including but not limited to Queer, Questioning, Intersex, 2 Spirit and Assexual.