You are here
Personal Support Worker
The Community Health Centres of Northumberland (CHCN) is a non-profit, community-governed organization committed to the wellness approach to health care that is delivered within an interdisciplinary team. Through innovative programming and integrated clinical services, the Centre promotes and enhances the physical, emotional, psychological, environmental, and economic wellbeing of the people it serves.
The CHCN is currently seeking a:
Full Time Personal Support Work for its GAIN Outreach Team
The GAIN (Geriatric Assessment & Intervention Network) outreach team is an interdisciplinary model that provides comprehensive geriatric assessments and then works with clients, their caregivers, other community support services, and primary care providers to develop personalized coordinated care plans to assist clients to remain at home as long as possible. The CHCN GAIN program is part of a larger network of GAIN programs that are in place throughout the Central East Local Health Integrated Network (CELHIN) and works closely with the CELHIN Seniors Care Network.
The Personal Support Worker (PSW) provides assistance with personal care, socialization, emotional support, and related health services to clients of the GAIN Team. As a member of the team the PSW provides input to the other disciplines on the team and works closely with clients and their caregivers to optimize comfort and practical support in the home. The PSW often provides transitional or supplementary support to clients waiting for PSW long term services.
- Providing homemaking services such as shopping, housecleaning, and meal preparation that are necessary to maintain people in their own residences
- Assisting clients with mobility and/or positioning
- Assisting with laundry, light meal preparation, and light housekeeping as assigned and deemed necessary
- Assisting clients with exercise programs under the direction of a health care professional when authorized by supervisor, including walking with the client
- Reminding clients to take medications (e.g. blister packs)
- Assisting clients with all aspects personal care and activities of daily living; this may include; bathing, washroom assistance, dressing, personal hygiene, grooming and dental hygiene according to the care plan
- Monitoring and reporting changes in the client’s behavior and condition.
- Building rapport with clients and using gentle persuasion to support the clients’ movement to acceptance of needed services
- Accompanying clients (via use of the team van) to appointments or to view Long Term Care facilities as necessary
*All support activities are performed in a manner that encourages the client’s independence
- PSW certification from a recognized educational institution
- Registered under the PSW Registry of Ontario
- Experience in providing homemaking and personal support activities to frail seniors.
- Demonstrated ability to recognize safety issues and follow safe work practices
- Ability to work both independently and as part of an inter-disciplinary team
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong skills in critical thinking, decision making and analysis
- Access to a vehicle is required due to the mobile nature of this position
- Able to work flexible hours when necessary.
- Certificates or education in any specialized geriatric training (e.g. P.I.E.C.E.S., Gentle Persuasion, etc.) would be considered an asset
How to Apply
Interested candidates should send their resumes to email@example.com Please note: Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
Closing date is July 20, 2018 @ 5:00pm.
As part of our commitment to the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, the Community Health Centres of Northumberland will provide assistance to applicants who request accommodation throughout the recruitment process.