You are here
Harm Reduction Worker
HARM REDUCTION WORKER
CASUAL, CONTRACT POSITION
HOURLY RATE: $16.87
The South Riverdale Community Health Centre is a non-profit, multi-service centre that provides primary health care, social and community outreach services with an emphasis on health promotion to residents of East Toronto.
Working at the fixed-site office, the Harm Reduction Worker will interact with service users, distribute harm and risk reduction materials, provide information and referrals when required and assist with further tasks as directed.
- Work in the fixed-site office and interact with service users
- Prepare and setup coffee, keep coffee area clean, put coffee supplies away
- Answer the telephone and relay messages as required
- Distribute harm and risk reduction materials and collect used needles and stems
- Prepare kit materials
- Replenish harm reduction supplies in the fixed-site and SRCHC lobby as required
- Make referrals to services, programs and workers
- Provide instrumental counseling
- Provide/distribute harm reduction information
- Enter data into the computer program
- Provide following months schedule by the 15th of the current month to the Harm Reduction Assistant
- Attend training offered by the program as required
- Prepare for and attend 3-7 hours of monthly meetings
- Maintain a clean and organized fixed-site and working space including updating of information and brochures, stocking of supply cabinet, etc.
- Complete fixed-site coverage log detailing work during shift
- Fill in SRCHC time sheets documenting work hours
- Apply intervention/diffusing/de-escalation/resolution techniques, to respond to service users in distress or in conflict with others
- Participate in program evaluation
- Other tasks as required
- Lived experience of drug use and/or sex work
- Drug and sex positive
- Knowledge of Harm Reduction Practice
- Knowledge of COUNTERfit Harm Reduction Program
- Basic knowledge of email, internet and computer use
- Ability to communicate effectively
- Ability to work well with others and function as a member of a team, collaboratively working in a team setting
- Respect diversity including sexuality/gender, race, drug use and sex work
- Does not use homophobic, trans-phobic, sexist or racist language, or language demeaning to drug users and/or sex workers
How to Apply
The deadline for applicants is Friday, February 23, 2018 at 5:00 p.m.
Please send your cover letter and resume in confidence to:
The Hiring Committee - HRW – Fixed Site
South Riverdale Community Health Centre
955 Queen Street East
Toronto, ON M4M 3P3
No emails, faxes, phone calls, or requests to meet please.
SRCHC welcomes applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
SRCHC is an equal opportunity employer. We would like to thank all those that apply but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
SRCHC encourages a scent-free environment. Employees, students, volunteers, and visitors are asked to refrain from wearing fragrances and other scented personal care products (i.e. perfumes, deodorants, lotions, hairspray, etc.) while at the Centre.