You are here
Family Physician, Primary Health Care
East Mississauga Community Health Centre
Contract Position: 10 hours per week to 17.5 hours per week
Contract Duration: March 2018 to March 2019
Salary Range: $177,997.00 per year to $205,765.00 per year (prorated)
LAMP Community Health Centre is a multi-service, community based charitable organization that provides a wide range of programs and services to improve a person's health. LAMP uses a co-ordinated approach to connect people to medical services and other programs that build personal resources. By providing services that improve physical, emotional, social and economic well-being, people can better control their health and environment.
Working within the objectives of the program and the standards of the College, the Family Physician works in an interdisciplinary team environment to provide primary health care to clients and their families taking into consideration the social determinants of health within a model of care which emphasizes health promotion and prevention through client education.
The incumbent will ensure that all organizational policies and procedures are followed.
- Provide ongoing client-centred comprehensive primary medical care to individuals of all ages including assessments, diagnosis, counselling, screening, referral, education, treatment and follow-up during contracted hours of service on both a scheduled and urgent basis.
- Provide primary care to the general community with an emphasis on EMCHC’s priority populations.
- Participate in the rotation for on call among physicians, providing telephone advice to patients, and dealing with urgent lab results.
- Collaborate with other health care professionals and health promotion services as necessary, and consult as required with Nurse Practitioners to enable them to work within their full scope of practice.
- Ensure complete and up to date documentation of medical records including various performance indicators in accordance with LAMP’s funder agreements (e.g. MSAA).
- Answer client enquiries, provide education in a manner which can be understood by the client and when applicable, their families and ensure translation services available as needed.
- Participate in program clinics as required.
Education & Professional Development
- Participate in the supervision and education of medical students/residents.
- Continue to improve professional knowledge, develop skills and remain up to date concerning current trends, especially related to EMCHC’s priority populations.
Administrative & Organizational Responsibilities
- Initiate, participate in, or lead program development, delivery and evaluation in collaboration with other clinical and health promotion staff.
- Attend and contribute to organizational events and meetings as required.
- Initiate or participate in the development of clinical policies, procedures and protocols, including medical directives.
- Participate in quality assurance initiatives including chart audits and peer reviews.
- A member in good standing with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario.
- Certification from the College of Family Physicians of Canada.
- A minimum of three years’ experience in a primary care setting, community based preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in an interdisciplinary team environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills necessary to work effectively with our diverse clientele and across all levels of the organization’s workforce.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, with the ability to clearly convey information and ideas in a respectful manner.
- Positive attitude and dependable with strong initiative and the ability to work both independently and in a team oriented atmosphere.
- Demonstrated commitment to and knowledge of the principles of primary health care, community-based health care, the social determinants of health and health promotion principles and values.
- Knowledge of immigration and health policies; gender affirming care; harm reduction practices and the Ontario health system.
- Open minded, eager and willing to constantly learn and improve oneself.
- A valid drivers’ license is an asset.
- Knowledge of LAMP & EMCHC, local communities, priority populations and/or a second language that is reflective of the community being served are all preferable assets.
Proficiency in the Following Computer Skills
- Solid working knowledge and ability to navigate a PC windows environment, including shared drives.
- Strong skills and experience using Microsoft applications (Word, Outlook, Excel).
- Strong skills and ability to easily navigate the internet/intranet environment.
- Experience and accuracy using database applications (i.e. Electronic Health Records – Nightingale, Oscar, funder databases, etc.)
- Ability to learn new software quickly and willingness to continuously develop technology skills.
- Fast paced environment of busy team of doctors, nurse practitioners, nurses and health promotion team.
- Paperless work operation with internal and external electronic communication.
- Flexible hours of work, within the centre hours of operation, to support accessible program service delivery. As such the position may entail some evening and weekend work.
- Requires community visits to various home situations.
- Ability to effectively understand the appreciation of guiding fundamentals at LAMP, i.e. Health Promotion, Anti-Oppression; Harm Reduction and the principles of community-based practice.
- Frequent data entry, with extended periods of time sitting stationary in front of a monitor while keyboarding.
- Ability to balance all job requirements in a busy atmosphere, including responding promptly to all communication.
- Frequent standing for extended periods of time and some occasional lifting may be required.
- Demonstrates good and safe work habits, and maintains a clean working environment, compliant with LAMP’s Health & Safety regulations and LAMP’s policies and procedures, including the immediate reporting of any breaches of Health & Safety or Environmental incidents, accidents or concerns to their respective Manager and/or the Director, Human Resources.
As part of our mandate for inclusivity, reasonable accommodations can be made for all incumbents to perform the described physical functions of the aforementioned job.
LAMP Community Health Centre is dedicated to achieving a workforce that reflects the diversity of the community it serves and encourages applications from equity seeking groups.
How to Apply
Please send your resume with a cover letter to Human Resources:
Email Address │ email@example.com
Subject │ Job Opening for Family Physician, Primary Health Care
Internal Deadline │ 5:00 p.m. on Monday March 5, 2018
External Deadline │ 5:00 p.m. on Monday March 12, 2018
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
No phone calls please.